Monday, March 1, 2010

Waking up America!

Brent and I decided to start a dinner/documentary/discussion night about every other saturday night. Our first get together was this past saturday and turned out to be a very small one. (Thanks Taylor and Jake for coming!) It was really fun, though. After our delicious chicken tacos (yum!) we sat down to watch I.O.U.S.A.(click the title of this blog to see the movie's page) You can probably guess from the title of the documentary that its about money, and specifically about our Nation's Debt, both currently and historically. Wow, what an eye opening movie. Frightening even. I'm politically minded, so I knew the trouble that we were in, but I didn't know the specifics or even the exact degree of financial despair. Anyways, I think that this is a movie that everyone MUST see. It is a non-partisan film, so no certain party propaganda, just straight, frightening facts.
I wanted to blog about that night because the movie and our discussion proposed an excellent question: What will it take to wake up America?

For this financial issue, obviously watching the movie, showing it to as many people as possible, would be step one. But I wanted to go further

There are a lot of things that Americans need to wake up to. There are a lot of things that my friends and I need to wake up to.
In reality, this world, this country, is totally different than what we really expect. There are so many secrets, mysteries, and conspiracies out there. There are even things about our world that are not at all hidden, but rather ignored like modern slavery today. Did you know that there are more slaves this very day than there have ever been in the history of mankind. According to Anti-Slavery International and other slavery studies, about 27 Million people are in bondage today. Yet many of us are under the impression that we have conquered this issue, or we just ignore it.
This is just one example out of many. So how can I do something to wake up America, or just wake up Texas State? This bi-weekly documentary night is step one. Dinner might get people there, but the film and the following discussion will definitely keep them coming. Step two is starting an organization. I'm really hoping that I can complete the process to get a documentary club started at Texas State so that I can help make more people aware of the various issues hidden from our everyday lives.
So if you are interested in joining us saturday nights, or becoming a part of the documentary club (I will need signatures to prove that people are interested) let me know. Even if you just want to discuss the topic of our nations financial despair, or want to suggest another topic to view in film, leave a comment! (I love getting your comments!)


=)

don't forget to click on the blog title to view a 30 minute summary clip of I.O.U.S.A.

1 comment:

  1. A good idea is to also have a way that people get involved or move to action after seeing a documentary. Information is great, and definitely the first step, but also provide ideas for how change can come about afterwards :)

    ReplyDelete